Wednesday, May 7, 2014

How to Swag: Study Song

SWAG Issue: 1
Study Song
By: Blake (Dr. Swag)

“Aw man! I got a D- on my math test!!! These bad grades are going to be the death of me! Oh well. I’ll just listen to this rap song and forget about this grade... Wait! What if: Rap + Studying = A+! I wonder…”
People like that guy who love swaggy music like rap and have a hard time studying. They can also have a hard time in school, too. But this guy was thinking in the right direction. MUSIC + STUDYING = GOOD GRADES! If you like music, and you need to start hitting the books, then follow these tips
    Okay, so maybe you are thinking “Dr. Swag, I don’t know how to write a song!” or “But Dr. Swag, making raps is hard!”. All you need for a catchy song is REPETITION. Repetition is the act of repeating something over and over again, like a chorus. If you think of the song Happy by Pharrell Williams, he uses the word “Happy” in it about 50 times. And guess what? It’s a catchy song! So for a study-based song, you need to use common words that have rhyming pairs for a chorus.   If you need to study math, then start repeated, common words. For example:

(to the tone of the chorus for “Happy”)
“Math-for-life!
If you wanna know how to mul-ti-ply, then add the number that many times!
Math-for-life!
If you forget to add the one, redo it and put it above!
Math-for-Life!...”.

You guys can comment back if you know anymore lyrics for that. I can’t think right now, but you get the point…
   
Now, raps can be tricky. Sometimes they can go really fast paced, like 5 words per second!  But, since I am not an experienced rapper, I’ll give an example of a slower paced rap. But I want to break it down before I do. Here are some tips for rapping.

-Bust a pace you can keep for a while
-If you want to bridge to the chorus, then try building up speed
-Make sure the words you rhyme make sense with the song in whole
-Spread out topics that can be easily rhymable (like for the color purple, say violet instead. Riot, diet, and quiet rhyme with it, but nothing rhymes with purple).

So, if you need help with reading homework, like parts of a story, then here’s an example that could help you:

“You have the plot, you know it’s the main i-dea;
it wraps the story up like a tor-ti-lla (Tor-tee-ah)!
And then there’s the characters, the people that are in the stor-y;
if you think about that it will lead you to glor-y!
Next is conflict, it’s basically the problem;
if you can’t solve that, everything will go to the bottom!
The theme is what the reader learned;
it’s like the moral or the lesson that cannot be burned!
Last is setting, which is where and when;
If you figure out these then the story will END.”


    Well, that’s all I have for this issue. Check out my next issue to deal with bullying by keeping calm. If you learned a lot from my first issue, that’s awesome! Even if you still have good grades, or don’t even like music, then you can still have ideas that you can think of to help in the future. If you have anything to say, the comment section is below! I hope that you enjoyed, and remember: Swag on!

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! You made an entertaining article that can help a lot of people. I also love the use of different fonts and colors. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is small. You just forgot a period at the end of the second paragraph where you said "follow these tips"

    ReplyDelete

This is an elementary school literary blog. Please keep comments and suggestions age appropriate.